EP022 -What is Cyber Security and GDPR All About with Anna Heim
Click below to listen to the episode
In these modern days where almost all business transactions are made online, one has got to ask the question – if frauds happen in the real world, how sure are we that they don’t happen in the virtual one?
If one thinks that the internet is a very safe haven, that person must have been living under a rock! Threats are all over, may it be in the physical world or online.
And in this episode, we talk about cyber security as well as the General Data Protection Regulation – what are these all about and how significant are they to our businesses.
Anna Heim is a cyber and data information security consultant who has an extensive 25 years of experience of senior positions in companies such as IBM and other blue-chip clients. She now dedicates her time, skills, effort in fulfilling her mission of helping the world become a safer place in terms of cyber security, and GDPR; among others.
We started the episode by talking about what is cyber security all about – and how it is a complex and a body of interconnected technologies, processes, as well as practices that are designed to protect networks, computers, mobile and other digital devices, programs and data from attacks, damage, and other unauthorised access.
Anna also shares with us the basic types of hackers, which are:
- Kiddie Scripters / Script Kiddie – usually are young, thrill seeking, profile- building people who has interest in programming. They normally hack websites, and would leave graffitis on the site’s page/s.
- Black Hats / Black Hackers – they are more nefarious, and would break in to system to steal your company’s or your customers’ data. They attack in order to steal identities, and for fraud.
We also talked about three tips that we can do in our daily life in order to avoid identity theft.
- Make sure that you have installed antivirus, antimalware, and have a firewall on your computer.
- Keep your software and operating system updated.
- Do not use the same password across your social media and other online accounts.
We also touched the topic of the deep web (dark web) and how it is being used by hackers for their gain.
Lastly, Anna also shares with us what the General Data Protection Regulation is, what it does to businesses, what it does for the costumers, and how important it is.
Golden Nugget Round
Question 1 – What would you lecture at University today?
Data and Information Protection with a caveat to Online Privacy.
Question 2 – What would you tell your 25 Year Old Self?
Learn to code!
Question 3 – What was your biggest investment or financial decision?
Investing in my personal development.
To contact Anna, feel free to e-mail her at firstname.lastname@example.org
Links and Resources
If you have been a victim of identity theft, it takes two years to have your identity restored, BUT it would never be fully restored. –Anna Heim
Never use the same password twice! –Anna Heim